by Lucia Weiler, RD, PHEc
Scientists are discovering more about how our gut health impacts everything from skin conditions to mental health. It’s no surprise that many experts believe that minding our gut health will become an increasingly important health priority in the future.
The good news is that a few simple changes to what you eat and how active you are can help improve your gut health.
Three simple tips to take care of your gut are:
Fiber promotes healthy digestion, yet most people get less than half of the daily recommended amount of fiber. For optimal gut health, aim to get 20-30 grams of fiber each day.
Foods rich in fiber include vegetables, fruit, legumes, nuts and whole grains. Also look for ways to boost your prebiotic type fibers for digestive health.
Fluids aid healthy digestion. Drink fluids throughout the day to keep you well hydrated. On average, most people get about 80% of their fluid intake form drinking water and other beverages, and the other 20% from foods.
General recommendations are to aim for:
Moving your body helps keep the food moving through your gut. Be active for healthy digestion.
US HHS physical activity guidelines recommend adults engage in at least 150 minutes of physical activity a week.
There is evidence to show that a few brisk 10-minute walks each day bring health benefits. Consider taking short walks during the day and use the stairs instead of the elevator to stay active.